In 2007, Qatalum, a consortium between Hydro AS and Qatar Petroleum, a state-owned company, entrusted Fives with several contracts as part of the construction of one of the largest aluminium smelters in the world.
Qatalum has chosen Fives’ innovative solutions to achieve its objectives in terms of environmental protection, safety and performance.
Scope of supply
- Four Gas Treatment Centers equipped with Yprios, the boosted suction technology to lower potroom emissions during pots maintennace. These GTCs are also supplemented downstream by sea water scrubbers for the desulphurization of gases
- A high capacity Green Anode Plant at 60 tph implementing Rhodax® for paste preparation, IMC®, Intensive Mixing Cascade, for paste preparation and Xelios, for anode forming. Pitch fumes are collected by an Eolios system including a dry-scrubber with an RTO (Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer) for minimized emissions
- The Liquid Pitch Marine Terminal fitted with two tanks of 12.000 t capacity each
- The Fume Treatment Center as well as Firing equipment and Process Control System for the two Anode Baking Furnaces
- Eleven Melting & Holding Furnaces and two Water Cooling Systems for the casthouse
- One Anode Beam Raising Frame