Back2School 2018 in Sohar
The last edition of Fives’ Back2School Training Program was held in Sohar in the Sultanate of Oman, from 14 to 18 October 2018, hosted by Sohar Aluminium. On the agenda this year, classroom courses at the Crowne Plaza hotel and some visits to the Sohar Aluminium plant.
Four sessions were organized in parallel:
- Green Anode Plant (GAP)
- Gas Treatment Center (GTC)
- Anode Baking (Firing and Control System (FCS), Furnace Tending Assembly (FTA) and Fume Treatment Center (FTC)
- Pot Tending Machine (PTM), Crane and Pot Equipment
Thanks to the strong involvement of Sohar Aluminium, which organized a Gala dinner with some local entertainments, this fourth edition was a real success. 85 people from Alro, Balco, EGA, Ma’aden Aluminium, Mozal, Qatalum and Sohar Aluminium were trained.
This event was marked by some highlights:
- An Opening Ceremony co-chaired by representatives of Fives Services Gulf and Sohar Aluminium’s Top Management,
- Speeches by Said Al Masoudi, CEO of Sohar Aluminium and Hugues Vincent, CEO of the Aluminium Division of Fives, at the Gala diner,
- An introduction on the Aluminium Division’s innovations in terms of digitalization.
As a reminder, the Back2School program combines technical classroom courses (on process, mechanics and basic sciences), and on-site trainings on our equipment in operation. This annual event in the Gulf also gives participants the opportunity to get to know each other, to exchange and, above all, to share their experiences.
This successful 2018 edition shows that Back2School is emerging as a benchmark in terms of technical training on primary aluminium production processes, and values Fives as an expert and a partner of smelters.