In 2006, as part of the construction of the Sohar Aluminium smelter in Oman, Fives was awarded several turnkey contracts including the design and supply of:
Scope of supply
- A 36 tph Green Anode Plant implementing Rhodax® for dry material preparation and IMC® (Intensive Mixing Cascade) for paste mixing & cooling
- Two Gas Treatment Centers to control the emissions coming from the 360 AP 35 pots
- One Fume Treatment Center on anode baking furnaces
- Four tilting Holding Furnaces and associated launders, each of 80 t capacity feeding two ingot lines
- A Water Cooling Plant to cool three horizontal casting lines
- A Liquid Pitch Marine Terminal including two tanks of 5,000 t capacity each
- Eleven ECL™ Pot Tending Machines to perform all tasks on pots along with a Driving Simulator
- One Transfer Gantry and the retractable bumpers
- The ECL™ Crust Breaking and Alumina Feeding Devices, the ECL™ Anode Connection Assemblies, the ECL™ Jacking Systems
- Two Anodes Stacking Cranes to store green and baked anodes
- One Cathode Handling Machine
During these contracts execution, Fives’ main priorities were to respect environmental quality and to ensure Health & Safety.
Fives also contributed to the economical development of local communities through sub-contracts with local partners from, shop manufacturing to site construction.