As a driver of sustainable industrial progress, Fives shares its customers' objectives to combine industrial performance with sustainable development.
Being a partner of the main aluminium producers
The Innovation effort is first driven by customer’s needs or expectations. Fives encourages any opportunity for joint programs with its clients and/or suppliers.
Over the past 10 years, all the main latest technologies development (Rhodax® process, Xelios, Amelios, Ozeos filter...) were either jointly developed or at least validated at industrial scale, thanks to successful collaboration with partners.
It leads to constitute a patent portfolio exceeding 40 international patent families.
R&D investment annually: 3 to 3,5 M€
Capitalizing on the Group’s synergies
Fives’ Innovation program takes also benefit of any possible synergy within the broad panel of the Fives group companies. This is supported by several testing facilities, most of them operating in partnership with sister companies within the Group:
- A dry material characterization facility as well as a model testing facility for fluid dynamics at the Fives FCB Research and Test Center
- A laboratory for carbon paste and anode characterization
- A full scale flue wall bench test for injector and combustion characterization for anode baking furnaces at Fives Stein Manufacturing
Significative achievements in 2 key sectors of the aluminium production
Fives has developed and implemented worldwide number of state-of-the-art technologies, which are recognized by all the major aluminium producers for their advantages in terms of emission treatment, energy savings, product quality and performance.
- The RHODAX® process, a cost effective solution for dry mix preparation
- XELIOS 2.0, the anode forming solution for high density anodes
- EOLIOS, a proven original combination of dry-scrubbing and RTO for efficient pitch vapor treatment at paste plant with optimized global carbon footprint
- AMELIOS, the user friendly performance analysis tool for Green Anode Plants
- HELIOSRT, the Real Time advanced control system for safe and efficient firing systems at anode baking furnaces
- OZEOS, a compact and efficient Gas Treatment filter module. Ozeos has been awarded with the Fives Engineering Sustainability label as a technology of choice in terms of environmental, human and operational performance and economics
- YPRIOS, the proven dual suction system for reducing efficiently the roof emissions without disturbing pots
- The biggest ever-built sea water scrubbers for SO2 abatement at the Qatalum smelter in Qatar
- Various solutions for pots gas cooling such as water tube heat exchanger, “hair pins” cooler, in-duct water injection, etc...